Those creepy little things that give you goosebumps anytime you spot them.
I wonder why they were created in the first place.
Nothing makes me squirm as much as these dirty little things.
They are not only creepy to look at, but quite unhygienic and hazardous health wise to have in a home.
The tricky question is how do you exterminate roaches?
The answer is : Pest Control.
How often have you switched on the kitchen lights in the middle of the night to find the creepy little dirty insects moving about freely? Do you tip-toe into your bathroom like a detective carefully inspecting the corners behind the door before stepping inside? I doubt I would be so scared of any other creature on Earth..cockroaches make me shriek loud enough for the whole building to hear. That makes me take a lot of preventive steps to keep the pest at bay.
If you share my fear for cockroaches, then read on to see how you can get rid of them:
PREVENTIVE TIPS TO KEEP YOUR KITCHEN FREE OF COCKROACHES:
- A clean kitchen: One important thing I’ve observed is that dirt attracts cockroaches. The presence of roaches is directly proportional to how unclean your kitchen is. Flowing waste basket, food particles littered on the counter, open grocery bags, smelly shelves, and a dirty under-the-sink area will act as magnets for roaches. So ensure you clean the counter top every night after dinner, empty the waste basket, seal half-open grocery bags, and clean/wipe the racks/shelves regularly (at least once a month).
- A stop-gap solution that has been effective in preventing cockroaches is a home-made paste. Take one part of boric acid and two parts of maida. Knead it into a dough with a spoon of sugar and roll them into small balls (slightly bigger than that of a naphthalene ball). Let it dry until it turns hard. Place two to three balls in every rack of your kitchen shelf. This keeps roaches at bay. The process has to be repeated once in 2-3 months for it to be effective.
- Some other preventive measures you can take are to secure the drain openings in the kitchen and bathrooms every night, keep the under-sink cabinet odor free and place naphthalene balls in the region.
- Do not use newspapers to line the shelves. Newspapers attract roaches.
- Seal any drain openings and cracks around sinks completely.
- Ensure the kitchen is free of food particles and dirty dishes before you turn in for the night.
HOW TO EXTERMINATE COCKROACHES
If your kitchen and home is already infested with roaches, then you will have to resort to a strong pest control service.
- Empty the kitchen of all the items from the racks.
- Get a pest control service done. Herbal pest control is one thing I recommend highly, if it is available in the city you live in. It is economical, odorless, non-poisonous and gives good results for at least 6 months at a stretch. It takes about 45 minutes to apply the gel all around the house and costs about Rs.2,500 to Rs.3,000 for a 3 BHK house (for 3 times service a year). There are organized players like Godrej HI Care. Now, many of the home maintenance companies such as Housejoy and Urbanclap also do pest control.
- You will notice that roaches crawl out after 1 hour of the service. It is scary, but I have seen over 100 roaches creep out. Most will die after a few minutes however you will see some crawling up the wall or flying. It is an eery sight, no doubt.
- Clean the kitchen thoroughly before placing back your items. Use a shelf liner instead of newspapers.