So, shall we get started? The first in the Store Tour series is “Confluence” art store on the Jeevan Bhima Nagar main road. For folks who’ve been living in and around Indira Nagar with a slight inclination towards home decor, I’m sure you would’ve noticed this store next to Ek Bote furniture showroom. But, may be you’ve never stepped inside.
I know you are waiting to drool over the images. But, hold on. A little bit about the store owner first.
Parul Saraff, a trained interior designer from South Delhi Polytechnic for Women, started Confluence in 2000. After getting married in 2000, she moved from Delhi to Bangalore. It’s been 10 years since. Parul beams when she says she manages two babies now: her two-and-half year old daughter and Confluence.
I was intrigued by the name Confluence for which Parul said, the store doesn’t confine itself to any one art like Worli, glass or Tanjore painting. Since the store houses all kinds of art and she mixes a bit of everything in her creations, she felt there couldn’t be a better name than Confluence.
This will be a two part series with tomorrow’s post being exclusively about murals.
You get a taste of what to expect inside from the decor outside the store.
What does the store sell:
Shall we step inside now? Confluence takes custom orders for name boards, murals, gift items, pottery and paintings. The theme for Murals vary from traditional and tribal settings to abstract and kids-based cartoon characters.
What I liked:
1. In Parul’s words, it’s a no-frills store. And, it really is. You don’t have a cute store manager to handle customers and recite details about the products they sell. Each piece is handmade and Parul has a story to tell about each one of them.
2. There is no sq.ft rate. It’s easy to have a budget and design a product around it as there’s a lot of flexibility based on the materials you choose such as metal, wood and glass.
3. Her retail customer base is relatively mall and she knows each one of them by name. Unlike many store owners I have met, she is not in to marketing much. It’s all word-of-mouth. This was reason enough for me to feature Confluence first in this series.
4. Her murals for corporates like Manipal Hospital. Some abstract ones were really fabulous.
What you’ll like:
1.Name boards ranging from Rs.800 to Rs.3000.
2. There are no standard designs to choose from. Every mural/name plate in her portfolio was different from the other. As a customer, you get the freedom to let your imagination run wild. When she showed me the name plate range, my first question was, “So how are you different from the guy in Home Town?” I’m sure all of you have noticed the outlet in Home Town, Marathahalli. As she said, there is very little or no room for customization. Personal interaction again is minimal as the outlet is operated by employees.
How to get there:
From CMH temple on 80 feet Indira Nagar:
1. Continue on the 80 feet road towards Jeevan Bhima Nagar. Turn left on Jeevan Bhima Nagar main road. In about half a kilometer, you’ll find the ground floor store to your left after the Ek Bote showroom.
2. When you are coming from Marathahalli on old airport road towards Jeevan Bhima Nagar, you’ll find on to your right.
Store phone: +91 80 25273859. You may want to call up before going.