Have you recently painted your home and frustrated with the new stain marks that just won’t go away? Scared of enduring the paint odor again? If you are planning to repaint your home, then consider a washable and odourless emulsion paint such as Berger Easy Clean Fresh for interior walls. This post talks about why it makes for a great choice. Let me begin by narrating two separate incidents that happened at home last week. IC: My Stove Joshmadison Incident 1: I reuse glass sauce bottles with a spout as an oil dispenser. One day, I filled the oil to the…
In this post, I’ve put together 10 simple ideas to paint your walls in geometric patterns. They are so easy that you can do them yourself without hiring a painter. To make matters further easy, I’ve given colour codes for every pattern from Berger’s Silk Glamor interior emulsion paint for walls. This premium range of paints will elevate the look of your walls to give a luxurious and sheen finish. Pinterest predicts painting colourful geometric shapes on walls will be one of the hottest trends this year, going by search volumes for geometric painting. If you are not too much…
This post is all about how to choose the right kind of tiles for walls and floors for your home, the different types of tiles available in the market, and what makes one a best choice for every room. I use Oasis tiles as an example here to illustrate the right choice. One of the often asked questions/email queries from the readers of the blog is on tiles. You may wonder why a common topic such as tiles would pique the interest of so many people. Often, the seemingly simple ones are the ones that take up the most time…
There is nothing more indelible than spending time with our loved ones. In this fast paced world,working day in and out,the only time we get to relax and share a laughter is the dinner time,at the dining table. Now that having a meal together has become the only chance of sharing your time ,everything about the time has to be special.The food of course will do its bit ,what about the ambience? Cosy and inviting ambience is not something we should look for only when dining at a restaurant or hotel,it is something you deserve at home as well. Talking…
This post is a review of my experience in getting a laminated wooden flooring in India. Specifically, I will discuss the vendors, their engagement level, the brands available and the overall experience. Wooden Flooring I write this post on a Saturday morning while waiting for the wooden flooring installation guys from Pergo to turn up. It is 12:53 p.m. They were supposed to commence work at 11:00 a.m. as communicated and agreed upon. But, we will get to that later. Here is a brief of our requirement for the wooden flooring project: Space: Bed room Area: 188 sq. ft Type of…
In my previous post, I spoke at length about how I designed the wardrobes for our home using Custom Furnish’s Design from Scratch tool. After months of frustration of not making a good headway with the design, I was finally HAPPY with how it turned out; my little moments of happiness. The design of every room was one small step at a time.
So, it came as a surprise when I heard from Chandra of Custom Furnish. to experience their new product/service range: buying curtains online after customizing it to your required dimensions. I was excited because out of the blue came an association and a name to relate to with this tool/website that I had been using for weeks. Over the next few weeks, we collaborated on making the design and buying experience of curtains better on Custom Furnish.
In this post, I will take you through my experience of how to select, buy and install curtains for a french window in the guest bed room.
Why Custom Furnish?
- You can buy ready made curtains and blinds from a number of sites, but they are of standard sizes. The convenience of Custom Furnish is that the curtains are customized for your window sizes.
- You can sample 15 pieces of fabric before purchasing the curtains for a refundable amount of Rs. 500.
- The convenience of selecting the fabric, getting it delivered to your doorstep without multiple trips to multiple stores, and a fixed price. Believe me sometimes the biggest advantage is when you do not have a choice to negotiate.
Just when you think you have it all figured out, you are surprised by how confused you actually are by the color choices. And this is so true when it comes to building a home. We always thought we knew the colors we wanted for the wall in every room. I’ll be honest in admitting that I struggled with choosing the fabric for over two days. I was exhausted. So I just forgot about it for two days and then came the Eureka moment to adopt a methodical approach. This approach helped immensely and I made the choice within 10 minutes.
Here are my tips for choosing the right fabric:
- Wall color: What is the color of your walls? If your accent wall has a dark color, then go with any neutral shade for curtains. Even otherwise, a neutral shade like beige/golden/silver/ivory gives you the flexibility and freedom to dress your walls differently anytime. For this bed room, we intend to give the room an extraordinary look by painting the accent wall in Indigo (yea, the Saif Ali Khan one on ‘Say no to nice’ from the Asian Paints ad). Given this bold color, I felt a silver or golden colored curtain would render the room a regal look. If you want a playful, cheerful look to the room, liven it up with a floral pattern such as Sharon. On the other hand, if there is too much drama happening in the room and you want to play it down a bit, go for a solid color.
- Material: the choice is diverse from cotton, linen, polyester, silk and viscose to a blend of these basic materials. The price is as diverse as the material with polyester being the cheapest and silk being the most expensive of the lot. Cotton helps the curtain hold its form and pleats relative to pure polyester, while silk gives a rich look and can be exorbitant. You may choose the fabric depending on the room. I wanted a blend of polyester + linen + cotton and the one I chose fit the bill perfectly. It is stronger but cheaper than linen. Order a sample of every type of fabric to feel the material in the colors chosen in the previous step. this will help you make a decision.
- Lining or no lining: Unless it is a sheer curtain, lining is recommended for a curtain as it helps the curtains long last and retain its shape. There is enough information for each step along the way on the site to help you make a decision.
- Type of lining: If you are someone who hates to wake up at the crack of dawn because of morning rays streaming in through the curtains, then go for the blackout lining by all means. Just like a hotel room :) But, at times, your fabric itself is thick enough that having a blackout lining may be an overkill. You cannot judge the thickness of the curtain online, so ordering the sample will help you decide the lining. In some cases, you may need two curtains for privacy: a sheer during the day and a main curtain for the night. The guest bedroom is on the ground floor and overlooks the neighboring villa so I went with a blackout lining.
- Style: If you have narrow windows, it’s best to choose blinds but they do not have blinds as an option currently. Similarly, there are no double rods to choose from either.
In my last post on my quest for aqua blue wall tiles, I expressed my disappointment at none of the leading brands having a shade even remotely closer to this one. Since then, we have visited numerous shops in Banaswadi, Marathahalli, Indira Nagar and Shivaji Nagar. Who knew tiles such as this blue can be a exemplary, but least sought after one in the Indian market. I was told, time and again, by all the dealers that beige and brown were the preferred choices and often, the only choice. The rest simply never got sold. One exception was Nitco that…
We all have a vision of how certain spaces in our new house will be some day. Even if you are not planning to move into a new home, this image could be a compelling reason to renovate the space. It could be as simple as pink cushions against a white sofa, or a easy chair in the balcony to read, or a quiet space in the house to practice the guitar without anyone nagging to run errands, or making space in the balcony for plants. You carry a certain image in your mind, make a mental note, or bookmark the image…
You know this is the busiest time of the year for paint companies with chock-a-block calendar? This is when most people give their walls a fresh lease of paint before the festive and wedding season begins. The most popular posts on this blog – on Asian Paints and Surprise your Spouse have been trending for the past two months.
A special effects (textured paint) on a ~ 100 sq. ft wall can cost upwards of INR 5,000. But, you don’t have to spend a fortune if you are proud of your DIY and not too worried about a professional finish. Sponging, combing, brushing, dapple, ragging, weaving, spatula and crinkle are some of the special effects on offer.
The intent of this post is to show that you can do it yourself at home. For steps on how to do it, this is a great starting point. If you’ve never done a painting job before, I’d suggest you get started with these handy tips.
For all the textured effects, choose a base color and another foreground one that stands out as you can see below.
See, how easy it is? How touch can stretching a comb over wet paint be especially if it leads to a stunning visual effect?
Freshly painted walls have a welcoming and positive effect on a home. There’s no research to suggest how often you should get your house painted. But, it’s good to give a space a fresh coat of paint once every three years. Now, there are two kinds: a full job, and a coat. A full job is one where you scrape the entire surface, apply putty, and then paint. A new coat is where you apply two coats of paint assuming the primed surface is in great condition. From a clean surface to unblocking energies, there are several…