All you ever want to know is just a click away. Little wonder that encyclopedia companies have been struggling to stay afloat unless they have a cool digital version. And with most of us preferring to read a Kindle version or a clone, I find it a little strange that today’s post is centered around book cases. May be apt too for I don’t know how long they’ll last. In a few generations, they may become antiquated treasures. This a guest post by Andrea.
Is your bookcase in need for a makeover? Here are 5 simple and cost effective ways to update and make your bookcase look new again!
1. Refinish your bookcase- Maybe the color is looking dull or it doesn’t seem to coordinate with the room anymore. Make that bookcase into the statement piece it once was or has the potential to be! Whether your piece is solid wood or laminate, it will need to be sanded first, primed, and then painted. To stain you will need to sand, stain, and lastly apply a varnish for extra protection. If you have a metal bookcase you can spray paint it as shown below.
2. Wallpaper or Paint the back of the bookcase- The wallpaper can add texture and pattern to the space, not to mention everything on the bookcase will pop!
3. Create an art gallery bookcase- People can neglect the face of the bookcase. Hang art or multiple pieces of art to create more depth and dimension.
4. Incorporate new accessories- If you don’t feel like altering the surface of the bookcase, then change what you have on it. Trade out collections or accessories. Bring out forgotten treasures you have been collecting from your travels. Mix textures, shapes, and sizes to create an eclectic look.
5. Add new legs- This is a great way to add height and more style, giving your bookcase a completely different look. Wood, metal, painted legs, the options are endless!
This a guest post by Andrea Kavanaugh. She is a designer at Perceptions Interiors based in Washington DC.