User Review( votes)
In this post, I talk about how to choose the right kind of floor and wall tiles for your home, the different types of tiles available in the market, and what makes one a best choice for every room. I use Oasis tiles as an example here to illustrate the right choice.
One of the often asked questions/email queries from the readers of the blog is on tiles. You may wonder why a common topic such as tiles would pique the interest of so many people.
Often, the seemingly simple ones are the ones that take up the most time when you are building a home. The questions I get range from the obvious such as how to choose tiles for a bathroom to how much would it cost to redo the flooring of a room.
You may recall my hunt for the perfect aqua blue tiles for my kitchen. It took six months, yes, six months of going around town and calling many dealers across the length and breadth of the country before I found the one I was looking for. No exaggeration there. And, who would have known that they would have to be shipped all the way from Noida to Bangalore.
Tiles, just as any other product in the home improvement market, has undergone a sea change over the past decade. The consumer today is spoilt for choice from the number of brands available to the sizes and prints available.
Most apartments these days give a choice of at least two to three tiles for every room. I remember we got very adventurous with our first home and chose a different color for every room, and tried out some quirky patterns too.
Which Vitrified Tiles Is the Best in India
Walk into any tile showroom in your neighborhood. You will find the well known names that have been around for decades. The market is dominated with browns, beiges and off whites. And that perhaps explains why finding an off beat color such as turquoise seemed a daunting task.
People prefer beiges and brown as it is a safe choice and is more tolerant to the dusty environment. These are great for flooring tiles if you want to stick to neutral shades. But, if you are looking for color then you may want to step away from the bigger brands and venture into newer entrants and handmade tiles category.
There are many new players in the market. One such playe is Oasis Tiles India.
What to Keep in Mind When Choosing Floor Tiles
- Size: Larger the tile dimension, the lesser the number of joints. The larger the tile size, higher the price. But, it’s always best to go with a 800 mm * 800 mm or 1200 mm * 800 mm tile for living/ dining because the joints will be fewer. It may not work for smaller rooms as there will be wastage.
- Color: Choose a lighter color not because it will make the room bigger; it will make it brighter a slight reflects better on a lighter surface. Dark colored floors have a certain warmth but it’s not for everyone. Do not change the color for every room. Have the same color for common areas and go for a different one for kitchen, if you wish to. My theory is use the same tiles across rooms in a single floor to get the expanse of space.
- Finish: Matt finish is very much in trend now. Watch out for imperfections though. Matt tiles have a tendency to hold on dirt. They are less slippery relative to glossy.
- Pattern: You may want to try out different patterns but they do not look great in a smaller space. Walls are for art. Preferably stick to the same pattern for most areas. You can go in for warmer wooden finish tiles in bed rooms and kitchen.
Oasis Tiles: Types of Vitrified Tiles
The products on offer range from digital vitrified tiles to digital ceramic wall tiles. Vitrified tiles has been around for more than decade but the revolutionary changes the market has seen is mind blowing right from the thickness of the top layer to the digital prints.
Some of the digitally printed vitrified tiles such as the ones below are difficult to distinguish from the relatively expensive Italian marble.
So, let’s begin by demystifying some of the questions that plague your mind.
What Should You Keep in Mind When Laying Digital Vitrified Tiles
- Layer: It all starts and ends with the person laying the tiles. No matter how good your tiles are, if they are not laid by an experienced person, it will ruin the look. Believe me, the devil is in the details. It’s worth the time personally supervising when they mark the tiles on the floor to how they apply the grout. Often, for handmade tiles, the manufacturer sends special instructions for how the tile should be laid.
- Paper joint: It is ideal to lay tiles as a paper joint, i.e. the joint between two tiles is paper thin. The only disadvantage of this is if there is an air trapped or a tile needs to be replaced in the future for whatever reason, it will be difficult.
Notice that the grout tiles are prominent in the way tiles are laid in the picture below:
Oasis Tiles: How To Choose Tiles By Finish
Italian marble finish: Dyna blink and Tivoli edge have this classic Italian marble finish.
Granite finish: The granite light range in Sugar Finish series has a granite finish.
Wooden tiles bring in warmth and are suited for bedrooms or family room. They are comparatively easier to manage than a wooden floor and more tolerant towards spills.
Glossy or matt: this is a personal choice. Matt tiles render a rustic look.
Can Vitrified Tiles Be Used In Bathrooms?
Yes, vitrified tiles make a good choice for bathrooms because they are not as slippery as ceramic tiles. Go with the anti-skid, matt option for bathrooms. They are relatively less less stain resistant and non-porous making it easier to maintain.
The heavy duty Mariposa range from Oasis tiles shown in the picture above is a good choice for kitchens and bathrooms.
Are Vitrified Tiles Slippery?
The glossy ones are slippery. Glossy glazed tiles are not a good option for bathroom flooring. I wouldn’t recommend them even for the kitchen as sometimes when water spills, you cannot see if it is a light colored floor.
About Oasis: OASIS Group has become a formidable force in the Indian tiles and sanitary ware sector within a decade. Labeled as one of the fastest 50 growing companies in India, OASIS has stormed into the top 10 CLUB of the ceramic tiles companies in India.
Running six manufacturing units including one sanitary ware plant in Morbi (GUJARAT), the ceramic hub of India, Oasis is a leading brand in exporting & manufacturing wall tiles, vitrified tiles & sanitary ware products.
Image Courtesy: Oasis Tiles
If you are looking for patterned flooring, do check out these lovely homes.
IC: Ishita Sitwala for The Company of Design
IC: Studio Kunal Bhatia for Nishita Kamdar